Steven Gallegos, the 21-year-old who was one of two people charged in the January death of 3-year-old Leland Valdez, was arrested Wednesday in Pojoaque for an unspecified violation of the conditions of his release.
Gallegos, the ex-boyfriend of Tabetha Van Holtz, the mother charged in Valdez’s death, was served a warrant by Santa Fe County Sheriff’s deputies charging failure to comply, but could not elaborate on what the violation was.
Jail records show he was booked into jail at 3:08 p.m.
Gallegos will now have to appear before State District Judge Michael Vigil before the judge rules whether the violation was enough to revoke the man’s bond until trial or whether he can be re-released from the Santa Fe County jail.
Gallegos posted a $300,000 property bond on May 10 and was released from jail.
He and Van Holtz were indicted in April on child abuse resulting in death charges for Valdez. They have both pleaded not guilty and maintain their innocence in the case.
Here are some past blog posts from SantaFeCrime on the Leland Valdez story:
- Couple accused in Leland Valdez fatal abuse case both out of jail
- Attorney: Criticism of client is unfair after Leland’s death
- Was Gov. wrong to order flags flown at half staff for child abuse?
- Prosecutors find evidence of child abuse nearly six months before child’s death
- CYFD informs supervisor who oversaw Leland Valdez investigation she will be fired
- Obituary for 3-year-old Leland Valdez
- Dad: Abused 3-year-old Pojoaque boy ‘was joyful’