Dan Koffman, who has sold ads at the Santa Fe Reporter, declined to talk with me after Tuesday’s verdict in the Scott Owens case. In the past, he has voiced his displeasure with The New Mexican‘s coverage of the tragic crash that killed four teens and severely injured his then 16-year-old daughter, Avree Koffman, who was the lone survivor in the car with the other teens.
I was actually told on Tuesday by both supporters of the teen crash victims and of a supporter of Scott Owens that my coverage was biased so I managed to upset both side apparently.
When Tuesday’s not guilty verdict was read, Dan Koffman, like dozens of supporters of the teen crash victims, were visibly upset.
After he left the courtroom, he told his coworker, Wren Abbott of the Reporter, the following:
“A murderer is loose in our fucking town. I hope he has money for plastic surgery.” — Dan Koffman on Scott Owens
Wren’s blog post has a lot of raw emotion from friends and family of the victims family. You should take a look at her post here:
And here are some other links to coverage around Santa Fe and Albuquerque of the verdict:
- SF New Mexican: Jury finds Owens not guilty on all counts from 2009 fatal crash
- SF New Mexican: Twelve jurors made up cross-section of city
- SF New Mexican: The instructions behind the verdict in Scott Owens case
- Journal North: Not Guilty
- KOB-TV: Owens’ acquittal shocks victims’ family, friends
- KRQE: Scott Owens found not guilty on all counts
- KOAT: Scott Owens Not Guilty In DWI Crash